The United Bowhunters of Pennsylvania is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the Preservation, Promotion, and Protection of bowhunting opportunities in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. We support game management based on sound biological principles and a "resource first" philosophy.
The UBP was founded in the spring of 1985 by a group of dedicated bowhunters who desired to unite all of Pennsylvania's bowhunters into one organization with a mission to fight the growing anti-hunting movement. Now the UBP is the longest-lasting and most influential bowhunting organization in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
- To organize, educate, and activate Pennsylvania bowhunters to counter the growing anti-hunting movement.
- To establish mandatory bowhunter education for all first-time hunters desiring to hunt with the bow and arrow within the Commonwealth.
- To promote, protect, and establish increased recreational opportunitites for bowhunting and bowhunters within the Commonwealth.
- To promote and provide youth hunter education programs and activities.
"Not only is bowhunting fun and a real challenge, but it's good for you. The exercise in the fresh air, the chance to get away from everyday pressures and problems, a return to the basic relationships between man and his environment."
The UBP has been serving Pennsylvania bowhunters since 1985. During that time the UBP has had many accomplishments on the legislative and regulatory fronts. Listed below are some of the main accomplishments.
- Obtained the Regulation for Bowhunters in 2B,5C,4D WMUs to harvest a Buck During Entire Late Archery Season.
- Obtained 3-day Archery Bear Season followed by the extension to one-week for Archery Bear.
- Extension of legal hunting hours for whitetail deer to 30min. past sunset.
- Legislation passed to enable bowhunters to carry concealed firearm (with appropriate permits) during Archery Season.
- Participated in Mentored Youth Program Planning and Inception.
- Ability for Bowhunters to Harvest an Antlered Deer During the Oct.
- Rifle/Muzz. Season Overlap.
- Reduction of Safety Zone to 50-Yards Statewide for Bowhunters.
- Reduction of Fluorescent Orange Requirement During Overlap with Fall Turkey Season.
- Obtained two-week November Season Extension, and Continue the Fight to keep it for PA Bowhunters.
- ARCHERY BEAR SEASON FOR 2017 HAS BEEN MOVED UP TO RUN SIMULTANEOUSLY WITH ARCHERY DEER SEASON THE FIFTH WEEK OF THE SEASON.